Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Eureka!

Finally. I think I found a pitch in worthy dessert that follows all of out eating criteria -- Aunt Cathy's Special K Bars . . . with a few modifications! Growing up, I spent many a summer afternoon at my Aunt and Uncles house (they had kids my age and a pool!). I think my Aunt ALWAYS had a batch of Special K bars on her counter. I am so glad that I have found a way to share this childhood treat with my kids!

In place of Special K, I used "EnviroKids Amazon Flake" which is gluten free. Since it is already sweetened and because I try to avoid corn syrup, I cut back on the sugar and made a simple syrup with water and sugar. Here is my, gluten and dairy free, version of Special K bars.

4 C. cereal
1 C sugar and 1 C water (boil to make a simple syrup)
1 1/2 C peanut butter

12 oz chocolate or butterscotch chips (dairy free)

Make the simple syrup and pour over cereal and PB. Mix together. Spread into a greased 9x13 pan.

Melt chips in microwave and spread over bars. Cool.

Enjoy!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sarah: I will definitely be making the "Special" special K bars. Also the chicken alfredo. I've also bee checking our some gluten free bread recipes (way cheaper than the store.....IF the are edible.What do you think of Pamela's ultimate baking and pancake mix!
Mama

Ben Hatke said...

Hey I remember those! Also, puppy chow. That one was good.